In order to achieve a cleaner energy future, the natural gas industry is committed to reducing its methane emissions.
Our members participate in numerous programs committed to cutting methane.
We use cutting edge technology like drones, optical gas imaging cameras, different kinds of pneumatic controllers and even blockchain technology.
We have a shared commitment to reducing leakage and are aggressively making that happen.
The Environmental Protection Agency (2020) data on greenhouse gases shows that our reductions are working:
- U.S. methane emissions are 18 percent lower than in 1990
- U.S. methane emissions are 10 percent below 2005 levels.
NGSA members are committed to:
- Reducing methane emissions and making significant investments in processes and technologies to address emissions and reduce flaring;
- Improving the quality of methane data to achieve greater transparency and promote better understanding of the challenges in methane emissions;
- Increased voluntary efforts and reasonable government policies;
- Scientifically sound, cost-effective and flexible methane policies and regulations to allow for efficient implementation, future technology deployment and continuous improvements.
- NGSA’s Principles on Addressing Methane Emissions: Our Commitment to a Lower Carbon Energy Future (Oct. 5, 2020)
- Addressing Methane Emissions Essential to Achieving Clean Environment, Says NGSA (Oct. 5, 2020)
- Natural Gas Council Statement on ICF Report on Methane Emissions, “Finding the Facts on Methane Emissions, A Guide to the Literature” (Apr. 26, 2016)
- Natural Gas Council 1-page Summary of ICF’s “Finding the Facts on Methane Emissions” (Apr. 26, 2016)